The Grand Rapids Griffins of the AHL (American Hockey League) are the primary affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings (NHL). The Griffins take the ice at Van Andel Arena between October and April.
Highlights of the 2017-18 schedule include:
- The 2017 Calder Cup championship banner raising ceremony on Opening Night presented by Huntington Bank on Oct. 6 versus Manitoba;
- Twenty-five prime home dates (14 Fridays and 11 Saturdays) out of 38 games;
- Oct. 21, when the Hershey Bears will visit West Michigan for the first time in nearly 12 years (Dec. 22, 2005). Grand Rapids will make the return trip to Hershey on March 11. The Griffins are 6-0 all time against Hershey, which began play in the AHL in 1938-39 and is the oldest franchise on the circuit;
- March 2, when the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, whose parent club in Pittsburgh has won the last two Stanley Cups, will visit Van Andel Arena for the first time since Nov. 21, 2008. Grand Rapids will travel to northeast Pennsylvania on March 10;
- The Griffins’ inaugural games against the Tucson Roadrunners. Grand Rapids hosts its Pacific Division counterpart on Oct. 25 and Feb. 28 and will make its first visit to Arizona in more than 21 years on April 6 and 7, when the Tucson Convention Center Arena will become the 61st road venue the Griffins have competed in. Grand Rapids last played in the Cactus State on March 5, 1997 against the IHL’s Phoenix Roadrunners;
- Western Conference Finals rematches against the San Jose Barracuda on Oct. 13 (away) and March 30 (home);
- The Griffins’ 21st annual New Year’s Eve celebration versus the Milwaukee Admirals on Sun., Dec. 31, plus holiday games the Friday after Thanksgiving (Nov. 24) and on St. Patrick’s Day (March 17);
- Grand Rapids’ 17th annual Matinee Game presented by Blue Cross Blue Shield against the San Antonio Rampage on Wed., Nov. 8 at 11 a.m. The Matinee Game is returning to its original November slot after a two-year hiatus.
Group tickets for all home dates at Van Andel Arena are now on sale, along with 2017-18 season ticket packages. Single-game tickets will go on sale to the public on Sept. 8. Fans can secure theirfull-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
130 West Fulton Grand Rapids MI 49503