A Dinner Club GR & GRNow Collaboration
Where can you eat out this weekend, and what should you expect once there? Here’s a developing list of options for dining in, new or newly reopened outdoor patios, and more. Be sure to grab your mask, as you’ll need it for entering/exiting the venue and whenever not at your table.
*last updated Saturday, June 13
Open this weekend:
- Sanchez opened Monday, June 8, serving tapas from 10am – 8pm daily. Reservations are encouraged for general dine-in services and required for patio seating. Plus, bonus! — the patio is dog friendly. Menus are available via QR codes to limit additional points of contact.
- Osteria Rossa is open for business, Wednesday – Saturday from 4 – 10pm. Weather permitting, seating will be extended to the patio. Reservations and walk-ins accepted.
- Sovengard Biergarten has returned for the summer! For the next “2-3 weeks”, dining services will be available only via the outdoor patio. Hours: Wednesday – Sunday, 5pm – 10pm.
- New Hotel Mertens has opened its bakery / cafe and Haute, its rooftop lounge, in addition to its numerous takeout options. Both dine-in spots will operate with cafe service, choosing a seat and joining a virtual queue prior to ordering. Bakery hours: Sunday – Thursday, 7am – 10pm; Friday – Saturday, 7am – 2pm. Haute rooftop hours: Monday – Thursday, 4pm – 10pm; Friday, 4pm – 2am; Saturday, 12pm – 10pm, Sunday, 4pm – 10pm.
- Hancock patio is open for counter service as of this week. Get your slushie fix — rhubarb lemonade, yes please — to add to your fried chicken cravings you’ve acquired during quarantine from curbside takeout.
- The Green Well This East Hills neighborhood hot spot will hold three days of reservation-only, limited-seating dining 3pm – 10pm Thursday, June 11, through Saturday, June 13. The establishment will be closed June 14 in order to prepare for full-service, normal operating hours starting June 15. At that time, The Green Well will return to normal operating hours of 11am – 10pm Monday through Sunday, with happy hour 11am – 5pm Monday through Friday.
- Paddock Place is now open for dining, as well as for parties hosted on the lawn. Check out the options for parties up to 100. Hours: Tues – Thurs, 4pm – 10pm; Fri – Sat, 4pm – 11pm.
- Blue Dog Tavern is open on the west side! With a digital menu and QR code checks for contactless payment, this establishment is innovating to make safety a priority. Reservations recommended, with limited seating reserved for walk-ins.
- Leo’s reopened for dine-in service on Monday, June 8, resuming normal business hours: including weekday happy hour 3:30pm – 5:30pm. Make reservations beforehand here.
- Fratelli’s Kitchen and Bar opened on 4 pm Monday, June 8 with a new menu, new drinks and new look. Call (616)551-1332 for reservations.
- Friesian Gastro Pub is open for dine-in, with its multi-level patio dining a great option for those easing into the new normal. If you’re on a mission to find as many boozy slushies as possible this summer, add them to your list. With QR code menus and contactless payment options, the service is wonderful and stress-free. And, they have pretty stylish, branded masks for employees, now available by demand for purchase ($8).
- New Holland Brewing Co. reopened Monday, June 8. Friday hours: 11 am – 11pm. Make reservations beforehand here.
- Elk Brewing opened both taprooms (Wealthy St. and Comstock Park) for business Tuesday, June 10. Today, they’re offering a “pup and a pint” with corn dogs from Pronto Pups. Now, that feels like summer.
- Long Road Distillers (Grand Haven location) is open for dine-in and takeout starting today at 4pm, with new outdoor seating available.
- Buffalo Traders Lounge is back! Rules are posted on their front door; wait outside to be seated (parties limited to groups of four).
- Third Nature Brewing in Rockford opened its doors last night. Snag a reservation before heading their way this weekend.
- Eastern Kille Distillery opened last night, just in time for the weekend. Just don’t expect to belly up to the bar just yet: full table service only and groups no larger than 10. Boozy slushies are available here, too (so on board with this trend). Hours: Thursday – Saturday 4pm – 11pm.
- Flanagan’s Irish Pub is now open for dine in and expanded outdoor service via sidewalk space and the alcove next to the Midtown parking garage.
- Lyon Street Cafe Coffee shop patrons, we know you’re itching to get back to your perches. Lyon Street Cafe opened its doors this week daily from 8am – 4pm. Running club is back in action, as well (BYOC).
- Madcap Coffee Speaking of spots to sit and sip, Madcap Coffee is open at both locations. Fulton St. hours: 8am – 4pm; Monroe Center hours: 8am – 3pm.
Additional updates (via @GR_support_local):
Outdoor seating / patios
- Donkey open Mon – Sun, 11am – 9pm; outdoor seating only with dine-in beginning at 3pm.
- Royals open Mon – Wed, 8am – 3pm; Thurs – Sun, 8am – 8pm; outdoor seating only.
- That Early Bird open daily, 9am – 7pm; Limited patio seating.
- Cherie Inn open Wed – Sun, 8am – 2pm
- Graydon’s Crossing open Wed – Fri, 4pm – 10pm; Sun, 10am – 3pm; Reservations accepted.
- The Commons open Wed – Fri, 3pm – 10pm; Sat – Sun, 11am – 8pm
- Brass Ring Brewing open Tues – Sun; For reservations, call (616)644-3451.
- Pop’s Restaurant open Mon – Thurs, 7am – 2pm; Fri – Sat, 7am – 8pm; Sun, 8 am – 2pm.
- One Bourbon open Tues – Thurs, 4pm – 8pm; Fri – Sat, 3pm – 9pm. For reservations, call (616)608-5766.
- Linear open Tues – Fri, 4pm – 10pm; Sat, 11am – 3pm and 4pm – 10pm; Sun, 11am – 3pm. Reservations accepted.
- Field & Fire Cafe open Mon – Fri, 7am – 3pm; Sat – Sun, 8am – 3pm.
- Noco Provisions open Mon – Sat, 11am – 9pm; Reservations accepted.
- Uncommon Grounds Coffee open Mon – Fri, 7:30am – 2pm; Sat, 9:30am – 2pm.
- Corridor Coffee open Mon – Fri, 8am – 5pm; Sat – Sun, 9am – 5pm.
- Squibb Coffee open Mon – Sat, 8am – 7pm; Sun, 9am – 4pm.
- Terra open Tues – Fri, 4pm – 10pm; Sat, 10am – 2:30pm and 4pm – 10pm; Sun, 10am – 2:30pm.
Opening week of June 15:
- City Built Brewery installed a new parklet outside its taproom. Though it opened Tuesday, June 9, it will be closed the weekend of June 12 for training before reopening to the public June 17 at 3pm.
- Mudpenny‘s grand opening for dine-in service is Wednesday, June 17 (Ada location). Check out their farm-to-table dishes made with love.
- Apertivo opens June 15 for patio-only table service. Hours: Monday – Friday, 12pm – 7pm; Saturday and Sunday, 10am – 7pm.
- Bistro Bella Vita One of downtown Grand Rapids’ longest-running, full-service restaurants, Bistro Bella Vita will have three days of soft-opening events from Thursday, June 18 to Saturday, June 20. Limited-seating, reservation-only dining will run from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Bistro will be closed June 21 and 22 in preparation for normal operations starting Tuesday, June 23. At that time, Bistro will be open Tuesday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 9:00 pm, Fridays from 11 a.m. to 10:00 pm and Saturdays from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Bistro will be closed Sundays and Mondays. Daily happy hour specials will run 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm Tuesday through Friday.
*Note: Jimmy Berger’s Gourmet Chicken closed June 7. Essence Group is planning a new full-service concept for the space later this summer, with an opening date set for fall 2020.
Restaurants: have an update to share? Email Marissa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marissa Fellows is a food and culture writer for GRNow. A lover of oysters, negronis, and all things mid-century modern, she works as a writer, brand consultant, and experience designer. Founder, Goodfellows Creative & Dinner Club GR (@dinnerclubgr).
Connect: Twitter and IG @mcallief | LinkedIn